When you go to see a new psychiatrist for the first time, you may be nervous. You may feel out of control and stressed because you do not know what to expect. But there is no need to worry. You can manage your anxiety by knowing what to expect ahead of time and being well-prepared.A…
Can Depression Therapy Really Help?
Depression is a serious condition and mental health disorder. We provide depression therapy to help those that are suffering from it.
Signs that depression therapy is necessary
We like to remind people of the importance of identifying symptoms of depression so that treatment can occur before the condition becomes life-threatening. Since depression often leads to suicide, none of the symptoms associated with it should be ignored or taken lightly. The symptoms of depression can include one or all of the following.
- Significant changes in weight, including dramatic weight loss
- Severe or intense fatigue
- Physical pain for no reason
- Isolation no longer wishing to spend time with friends or family
- Feeling intense sadness
- Not wishing to live
- Stopping doing the things that have been enjoyable in the past
- No longer caring for one's hygiene or appearance
There are additional signs that depression has become extreme and could be on the verge of becoming suicidal. These include:
- Giving one's things away
- Saying goodbye to friends and family as if they will not be seen again
- Expressing how things will not matter in the future
- Being unwilling to discuss any future plans or activities
- Making comments about not being around
Anyone who is exhibiting any of these symptoms needs to call our office immediately. It is possible to feel better but intervention is necessary to do so. Depression should not be ignored or taken for granted but treated right away.
Types of depression therapy
There are several types of therapeutic solutions that are available for helping patients. Sometimes, this involves a combination of therapies. They could include:
- Individual or group therapy
- Learning coping techniques and methods for stress relief
- Identifying important lifestyle changes
- Sleep aids to ensure a good night's rest since a lack of sleep can lead to depressive feelings
- Dietary changes
Ultimately, the body is designed to work as a whole. This means that though many people associate depression with being a cognitive disorder only, a person's physical health and well-being can also influence it. This is why it is important to get plenty of sleep and have a healthy diet when treating something like depression. Otherwise, it can become even harder to recover.
It takes time
An important thing to remember about depression therapy is that depression does not come on suddenly and it will not go away suddenly either. Even with medication, it is going to take time and effort to truly improve the way that a person feels. We work with patients on an ongoing basis and are careful not to announce someone as cured but instead, to look at depression as something that can be managed and kept at bay.
Some people find that they never experienced depressive thoughts again but this is rare. In most cases, this is a condition that is going to require continued monitoring and management to ensure the good mental health and an overall sense of well-being. Our depression therapy is incredibly effective because of the emphasis we place on comprehensive healthcare.
Our goal is to ensure that our clients feel better by treating everything that could be leading to their depressive feelings. This regularly requires a comprehensive approach but we find that this is the most effective solution. To learn more about how we can help, call our office and schedule an appointment today.