Geriatric psychiatry can help the aging population deal with issues of loss. People of all ages might need help with mental health problems throughout different periods of their lives. However, older people usually face more difficulties. For this, an individual would need to schedule an appointment with a doctor who focuses on geriatric psychiatry.Geriatric psychiatry…
5 Tips for Ending Your Nicotine Addiction
Trying to find solutions to end your nicotine addiction? According to the American Academy of Addiction Psychiatry, nicotine dependence is the most common substance use disorder in the United States. Since an addiction to nicotine is a very serious addiction, those who are addicted are encouraged to look into their therapeutic options for treatment.
Even those who have great willpower will find it difficult to stop smoking due to the physical as well as psychological effects cigarettes have on their body.
Is nicotine addiction treatable?
Wondering just how treatable a nicotine addiction is, even for those who have been smoking for many years? An addiction to nicotine is very treatable when using psychological and/or behavioral treatment options.
There are addiction psychiatrists who understand how to help those who are addicted to nicotine and for that reason should be a serious consideration. One of the first things someone should do when wanting to stop smoking is to make a list of all of the risks that come with smoking cigarettes.
Five tips for ending a nicotine addiction
The following is a list of five beneficial tips that anyone can follow in order to help in their nicotine addiction. In order for the tips to work, it is necessary for those addicted to make a dedicated decision to quit once and for all.
- Make a timeline: Making a timeline that includes an end date helps those addicted to nicotine by giving them a goal. Choosing a quit date helps the mind prepare for the upcoming date and is a personal commitment everyone should make when serious about quitting their addiction
- Decrease the amount slowly: Decreasing the amount of nicotine consumed should be added to the timeline. If someone smokes 10 cigarettes a day, then they should try to only smoke nine cigarettes one week, eight cigarettes the next week and so on
- Understand triggers: Understanding the triggers that cause someone to crave a cigarette is essential when it comes to ending a nicotine addiction. When those addicted understand their triggers, they are better able to deal with them when they arise. Some of the more common triggers include having a cup of coffee, attending a social event, driving in one’s car and after eating
- Build a support team: Building a team of support does wonders for those who are struggling with an addiction to nicotine. It is always ideal for those trying to quit to have at least one or two people in their lives that they can go to when they need to talk or vent about their struggles
- Replace the harmful habit with a healthy one: Replacing the harmful habit of a nicotine addiction with a healthy habit has proven to be very beneficial. Suggested new habits include joining a walking group, playing a fun sport with friends, volunteering one’s time to a worthy cause and finding a new hobby to enjoy
Stopping the addiction
Learning how to stop your nicotine addiction can be accomplished by replacement therapies and different types of smoking cessation strategies. If you have tried to stop smoking in the past and failed, then understand that it is not your fault. Even with a great deal of willpower, it is likely that you will not be able to stop yourself due to the physical and psychological effects it creates. When you are ready to stop, we can help.
Are you considering nicotine addiction treatment in the Massapequa area? Get more information at https://www.evolvepsychiatry.com.
Check out what others are saying about our services on Yelp: Read our Yelp reviews.
There are various methods a psychiatrist can use to address mental health conditions. If you are struggling with mental or emotional problems, you should visit a doctor. A mental health doctor will not only diagnose conditions but can treat them as well. A psychiatrist will provide counseling and therapy. In addition to that, medication is…
If you suffer from clinical depression, even the simplest of tasks can be difficult. It can be hard to get out of bed in the morning and go to work. It can even be impossible to enjoy the tasks that used to bring a smile to your face. Fortunately, there are treatment options available to…
Through a psychiatric assessment, a patient can get the help needed for a mental illness without feeling embarrassed or judged. Fortunately today, the stigma of mental illness is changing. This is due in part to public awareness campaigns and new government programs. However, an onslaught of doctors working to educate patients and their families has…